Golf Car Policies for Everyone*
The Golf Car is a huge part of Ocean Lakes Family Campground culture. We want everyone to enjoy their time and experience in Ocean Lakes, but the policies and rules are in place to help promote the safety of our guests and our teammates. We continue to monitor our guests’ comments and contemplate ways to improve their experience at Ocean Lakes. The biggest complaint we continue to receive is about the behavior of other guests.
NOTE: Guests can be trespassed from the campground and subject to additional fines.
ZERO Tolerance Golf Car Policies (Golf Cars and More)
The Golf Car Violations listed below apply to ANYONE operating a Golf Car inside Ocean Lakes, including our Leaseholders and their guests. Please review the violations and penalties below.
A $100 Fine will be issued after ONE Warning for the Following:
1. Loud music in the campground.
2. “Cruising” after Quiet Hours (11 PM – 7 AM) with no legitimate destination.
We are not out to harass guests utilizing necessary facilities, such as the bathhouses or Soapy Suds, etc. We are targeting guests “cruising” around the campground, generally making noise or looking for trouble (coolers, bikes, alcohol, unlocked vehicles, etc.).
A $100 Fine will be issued WITHOUT WARNING for the Following:
1. Underage driving: Driver MUST be at least 16 years of age with valid driver’s license in their possession. The Licensed Driver must be in control of the golf car at all times (hands on wheel, foot on pedals).
2. Reckless driving, horseplay, racing or other misuse of the golf car. Drivers must obey all traffic signs and yield to pedestrians.
3. Taking rental golf cars off property – DO NOT go past the entry gates or onto the beach.
4. Lewd, vulgar, or offensive music in the campground – Remember young eyes and young ears!
5. Open containers of alcohol anywhere but at your site – Please do not drink and drive!
We understand that our guests are on vacation and want to relax with family and friends and enjoy themselves. That may include an adult beverage and that is permitted at their site. However, open containers of alcohol are not permitted on vehicles (that includes golf cars) for it is against South Carolina state law. It is true, we are private property, and we choose to uphold the state laws.
Golf Car Violation Penalty Policies
Rental Golf Cars |
- First Offense: $100 fine to be paid immediately at the Golf Car Rental Office and the golf car is immediately taken away until the fine is paid.* A possible loss of privilege to rent or operate a golf car by any guest on the same site during that visit may result.
- Second Offense: $100 fine and the loss of privilege to rent or operate a golf car for the remainder of their stay.*
Privately Owned – Campsite & Rental Guests |
- First Offense: $100 fine that must be paid immediately at the Main Office.*
- Second Offense: $100 fine that must be paid immediately and the loss of privilege to operate a golf car in the campground. The golf car must be placed back on the camping/rental guest’s trailer or into the Golf Car Storage area.*
* NOTE: If the guest does not pay the $100 fine, they will be trespassed from the park and subject to additional fines.
Annual Leaseholder Golf Cars |
- First Offense: The driver or responsible party will be fined $100 that must be paid immediately at the Main Office. The violation will be documented in the site’s file. If the fine is not paid it will be levied against the Annual Lease Site.
- Second Offense: The driver or responsible party will be fined $100 that must be paid immediately at the Main Office. The violation will be documented in the site’s file. If the fine is not paid it will be levied against the Annual Lease Site. The second offense will result in the loss of privilege to have a golf car on the campground for one year and an additional $300 fine levied against the site. The Golf Car must be removed from the campground or stored in the Golf Car Storage area for the one-year period.
- Additional Offenses: If violations occur after the second offense, the Lease could be in jeopardy.
*We understand some guests will not agree with our policies, but they most likely do not share our perspective, the liability, and the lack of respect shown to our team (and many guests). Our ultimate objective is to make Ocean Lakes the safest and most enjoyable family-oriented vacation destination that we can be.
Learn more by scrolling this page or feel free to contact the Ocean Lakes Security team for more details or with any questions anytime at 843.828.4847.
Drivers must be at least 16 years old and have a VALID driver’s license in their possession to operate a golf car in Ocean Lakes (also SC State Law). You must be 21 years old to sign a rental contract. Any underage driver on a golf car without a licensed driver gets the ticket written in their name, but if a licensed driver is on the golf car we will write the ticket to the adult for “allowing an underage driver on a golf car.” If the ticket is written to the adult, understand that the underage driver’s name will still be noted on the ticket for the incident report, but the name of the person receiving the ticket will be the name of the adult.
Please Note: Our policies do permit a child to have their hands on the wheel while sitting in the lap of a licensed driver, but the licensed driver MUST have their hands ON THE WHEEL at all times. Our posted signage/policy states: “The licensed driver must be in complete control of the golf car at all times.” This includes sitting in the driver’s seat and the operating of the foot pedals with hand(s) on the steering wheel. If the officer witnesses otherwise, a violation will be issued with a fine because then it is considered an underage driver violation. The licensed driver must be in control with hands on the wheel. The child CANNOT be seated behind the wheel with the licensed driver beside them; that is a violation because the licensed driver is not in full control of the golf car. This specific rule is addressed in writing/pictures/signage to the guest that registers/rents the golf car. That guest’s responsibility is to make additional drivers aware of our policies.
General Golf Car Rules for Everyone
- Privately-owned golf cars must be registered and have a valid registration sticker permanently attached to the driver’s side of the front of the car. Proof of proper liability insurance must be shown with a minimum of $50,000 coverage in Personal Injury and Property Damage held on the golf car. Be aware of South Carolina driving laws on public roads.
- There is a $41 charge for required Ocean Lakes stickers.
- NO gas-powered or motorized golf cars are permitted.
- NO outside golf car rentals are permitted.
- Golf cars operating after sunset must have the light(s) turned on. Lights must be permanently attached and at least four inches in diameter.
- Aftermarket lighting is permitted on golf cars as long as it does not blink, pattern flash or strobe. The lights should NOT resemble emergency lighting.
- Flags on golf cars are not to exceed 2′ x 2′. No whip antennas or extended post-mounted flags are permitted.
- A maximum of 5 people per golf car at any given time. 8 people maximum per limo car.
- Cruising on golf cars during quiet hours (11 PM-7 AM) is not permitted.
- All Golf Car owners/drivers are responsible for the operation of the golf car including any damages that result from operation.
- Annual Leaseholders must have 3″ reflective site numbers on the front and back of their golf cars.
- Golf cars must be operated properly and driven only on roadways. Golf cars are not to be driven across vacant or occupied campsites, the beach, or in other restricted areas.
- Under NO circumstances can golf cars be rented to other sites or other guests as a separate transaction.
Tip: Do not leave the key in the golf car!
REMEMBER TO REGISTER PRIVATELY OWNED ELECTRIC GOLF CARS AT THE GOLF CAR BUILDING > Please review our website.
Golf car rental rates can be seen here. Golf Car Policies: PDF | v. Jan 2023[/su_column]