Golf Car Policies Highlights:
Watch our helpful video. We want to emphasize that QUIET HOURS are 11 PM to 7 AM.
The Golf Car is a huge part of the culture at Ocean Lakes Family Campground. We want everyone to enjoy their time and experience in Ocean Lakes, but the policies and rules are in place to help promote the safety of our guests and our teammates. We continue to monitor our guests’ comments and contemplate ways to improve their experience at Ocean Lakes. The biggest complaint we continue to receive isabout the behavior of other guests. Here are the 3 biggest complaints:
1. Cruising on golf cars during quiet hours will not be allowed and violators is subject to a $100 fine.* Understand that we are not out to harass guests utilizing necessary facilities, such as the bathhouses or Soapy Suds, etc. We are targeting guests “cruising” around the campground, generally making noise or looking for trouble (coolers, bikes, alcohol, unlocked vehicles, etc.).
2. Loud music, language, noise will not be tolerated. We have received numerous complaints about golf cars blaring loud, sometimes lewd, music. Some of our guests enjoy the “volume control game” forced on our Security teammates, however, we have all heard enough. Any guest playing music too loud for the rest of us is subject to a $100 fine.* Please remember “young eyes” are watching and listening.
3. Alcohol: We understand that our guests are on vacation and want to relax with family and friends and enjoy themselves. That may include an adult beverage and that is permitted at their site. However, open containers of alcohol are not permitted on vehicles (that includes golf cars) for it is against South Carolina state law. It is true, we are private property, and we choose to uphold the state laws. Any guest caught with an open container is subject to a $100 fine.*
* Once again, we understand some guests will not agree with our policies, but they most likely do not share our perspective, the liability, and the lack of respect our team (and many guests) have witnessed. Our ultimate objective is to make Ocean Lakes the most safe and enjoyable family-oriented vacation destination that we can be.
Golf Car Policies for Everyone:
Our ultimate objective is to make Ocean Lakes Family Campground the most safe and enjoyable family-oriented vacation destination that it can possibly be.
PLEASE NOTE: the Golf Car Violations listed below apply to ANYONE operating a Golf Car inside Ocean Lakes, including our Annual Lease Site Holders and their guests. Please review violations and penalties below.
A $100 Fine will be issued after One Warning for the following:
1. Loud music in the park
2. “Cruising” after Quiet Hours with no legitimate destination
3. Open containers of alcohol anywhere but your site
A $100 Fine will be issued Without Warning for the following:
1. Underage driving: Driver must be at least 16 years of age
with valid driver’s license in their possession
2. Reckless driving
3. Taking rental golf cars off property
4. Lewd, vulgar or offensive music in the park
- Flags on all moving vehicles and golf cars must fit into a 2 ft. x 2 ft. size. They must not impede the vision of the driver.
- Aftermarket lighting is permitted on golf cars as long as it does not blink, pattern flash or strobe. The lights should NOT resemble emergency lighting.
Ocean Lakes Golf Car Violations and Policies — more details:
- Underage driving. Driver must be at least 16 years of age with valid driver’s license in their possession (also SC State Law). Any underage driver on a golf car without a licensed driver gets the ticket written in their name, but if a licensed driver is on the golf car we will write the ticket to the adult for “allowing an underage driver on a golf car.” If the ticket is written to the adult, understand that the underage driver’s name will still be noted on the ticket for the incident report, but the name of the person receiving the ticket will be the name of the adult.
Note: Our policies do permit a child to have their hands on the wheel while sitting in the lap of a licensed driver, but the licensed driver MUST have their hands ON THE WHEEL at all times. Our posted signage/policy states: “The licensed driver must be in complete control of the golf car at all times.” This includes sitting in the driver’s seat and the operation of the foot pedals with hand(s) on the steering wheel. If an officer witnesses otherwise, a violation will be issued with a fine because then it is considered an underage driver violation. The licensed driver must be in control with hands on the wheel. The child CANNOT be seated behind the wheel with the licensed driver beside them, that is a violation because the licensed driver is not in full control of the golf car. This specific rule is addressed in writing/pictures/signage to the guest that registers/rents the golf car. It is the responsibility of that guest to make additional drivers aware of our policies.
- Reckless driving. Golf Cars must be operated properly at all times and driven on roadways. No reckless driving, racing or misuse of the Golf Car will be tolerated. Drivers must obey all traffic signs.
- Loud, lewd and vulgar music (or language). Please keep the volume level on radios, stereos, or other audio devices low so others are not disturbed, and only play musicthat is family -friendly.
- Open containers of alcoholic beverages on your golf car (or in your possesson off your site). Please, for everyone’s safety, do not drink and drive!
- “Cruising” after hours (during Quiet Hours 11 PM – 7 AM) with no legitimate destination.
- You must be 21 years old to sign a rental contract.
- Privately owned golf cars must be registered and have a valid registration sticker attached to the driver’s side of the front of the car. Proof of proper liability insurance must be shown with a minimum of $50,000 coverage in Personal Injury and Property Damage held on the golf car. Be aware of South Carolina driving laws on public roads. There is a $35 charge for required Ocean Lakes stickers.
- NO gas powered or motorized golf cars are permitted.
- Golf cars operating after sunset must have the light(s) turned on. Lights must be permanently attached and at least four inches in diameter.
- Flags on golf cars are not to exceed 24″ x 24″. No whip antennas or extended postmounted flags are permitted.
- A maximum of 5 people can be on a golf car at any given time; a maximum of 8 people for a limo car.
- Cruising on golf cars during quiet hours (11PM-7AM) is not permitted.
- Please keep the volume level on radios, stereos, or other audio devices low so others are not disturbed. Vulgar or lewd lyrics will not be tolerated.
- No open containers of alcoholic beverages are allowed on golf cars.
- Annual Lease Holders and transient campsite car owners are responsible for the operation of the golf car including any damages that result from operation.
- Annual Lease Holders must have 3″ reflective site numbers on the front and back of their golf cars.
- Golf cars must be operated properly and driven only on roadways. Golf cars are not to be driven across vacant or occupied campsites, the beach, or in other restricted areas.
- Rental golf cars cannot be driven off Ocean Lakes’ property.
- Under NO circumstances can golf cars be rented to other sites or other guests as a separate transaction.
REMEMBER TO REGISTER PRIVATELY OWNED ELECTRIC GOLF CARS AT THE GOLF CAR BUILDING
> Please review our website.
Golf Car Penalties:
Privately owned campsite guests’ golf car:
- First Offense of underage or reckless driving: $100 fine will be levied and must be paid immediately at the Main Office.
Annual Lease Site Holder Golf Cars:
- First Offense: $100 fine will be levied against that site and documentation recorded in the site’s file.
- Second Offense: $100 fine will be levied against the ALS and documentation recorded in the Site’s file. The second offense will result in the loss of privilege to have a golf car on the campground for one year. The Golf Car must be removed from the campground or stored in the Golf Car storage area for the one year time period.
- Additional Offenses: If violations occur after the second offense, your lease could be in jeopardy.
- ALSHs can learn more about Golf Car Violations in this PDF.
Rental golf car:
- First Offense of underage or reckless driving: $100 fine will be levied and the car is immediately taken away from the person to whom it was rented. A possible loss of privilege to rent or operate a golf car by any guest on the same site during that visit may result. Fines to be paid at Golf Car Rental Office.
All Second Violations
All Second violations of a policy will result in the loss of privilege to operate a golf car in the campground. The golf car must be placed back on the camping guest’s trailer or into the golf car storage area. Annual Lease Holder’s golf cars must be removed from the property or placed into the golf car storage area and loss of privilege for one year.