General Park Policies
We continue to monitor our guests’ comments and contemplate ways to improve their experience at Ocean Lakes. Sadly, the biggest complaint we continue to receive is NOT about our campground or service, but about the behavior of other guests – please remember “young eyes” are watching and listening. Many guests have heralded the policy modifications that we have implemented during the last few years and we have seen guest behavior, and thus guest experiences, improve. We appreciate and value your feedback and hope you have a great vacation.
Golf Car Policies for Everyone*
The Golf Car Violations listed below apply to ANYONE operating a Golf Car inside Ocean Lakes, including our Annual Lease Site Holders and their guests. Please review violations and penalties below.
ZERO Tolerance Policies: Golf Cars & More
A $100 Fine will be issued after ONE Warning for the Following:
1. Loud music in the campground.
2. “Cruising” after Quiet Hours (11 PM – 7 AM) with no legitimate destination.
We are not out to harass guests utilizing necessary facilities, such as the bathhouses or Soapy Suds, etc. We are targeting guests “cruising” around the campground, generally making noise or looking for trouble (coolers, bikes, alcohol, unlocked vehicles, etc.).
3. Open containers of alcohol anywhere but at your site – Please do not drink and drive!
We understand that our guests are on vacation and want to relax with family and friends and enjoy themselves. That may include an adult beverage and that is permitted at their site. However, open containers of alcohol are not permitted on vehicles (that includes golf cars) for it is against South Carolina state law. It is true, we are private property, and we choose to uphold the state laws.
A $100 Fine will be issued WITHOUT Warning for the Following:
1. Underage driving: Driver MUST be at least 16 years of age with valid driver’s license in their possession. The Licensed Driver must be in control of the golf car at all times (hands on wheel, foot on pedals).
2. Reckless driving, horseplay, racing or other misuse of the golf car. Drivers must obey all traffic signs.
3. Taking rental golf cars off property – DO NOT go past the entry gates or onto the beach.
4. Lewd, vulgar or offensive music in the campground – Remember young eyes and young ears!
*We understand some guests will not agree with our policies, but they most likely do not share our perspective, the liability, and the lack of respect our team (and many guests) have witnessed. Our ultimate objective is to make Ocean Lakes the most safe and enjoyable family-oriented vacation destination that we can be.
- Flags on all moving vehicles and golf cars must fit into a 2ft. x 2ft. size. They must not impede the vision of the driver.
- Aftermarket lighting is permitted on golf cars as long as it does not blink, pattern flash or strobe. The lights should NOT resemble emergency lighting.
Learn more by scrolling this page or feel free to contact the Ocean Lakes Security team for more details or with any questions anytime at 843.828.4847.
Park Policies & Information
General Campground Policies:
- Families only, please.
- All visitors must register at the Main Office before entering the campground.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages is permissible at your site only by adults 21 years of age and older! Do not drink and drive – this includes Golf Cars!
- PLEASE SECURE YOUR VALUABLES(bikes, scooters, skateboards, coolers, golf cars and chargers, etc.). Lock your vehicles; beware of leaving valuables inside. We are not liable for stolen or damaged items.
- Sandy’s Center Stage can be used for events – check with the Recreation Office.
- “For Sale” signs, or any sign or banner including phone numbers or websites implying such, including political signs or other promotional signs are not permitted. Flags are permitted, on golf cars and vehicles that are not to exceed 2′ x 2′.
- Main Gate entrance is open 24/7. 24-hour Security Patrol on-site.
- Sandy Harbor Water Park: please review the pool rules and guidelines online or available in our offices.
- Watch OLFC TV (Campsites: 61, Houses: 1391) and OLP TV (Campsites: 62, Houses: 1390) to keep up-to-date with Ocean Lakes info and activities.
- Drones are not permitted in the park for privacy and safety reasons.
- Horry County Ordinance states it is illegal to feed migratory and domestic waterfowl (geese, swans, ducks, cormorants, etc.) unless you are on a Wildlife Management Area (WMA) Property. The purpose is to prevent attracting migratory and domestic waterfowl to or near residential areas.
- DO NOT pass the stopped School Bus at our Main Gate. Please stop while the bus is loading and unloading and do not drive around the bus by using a lane under the canopy.
- Yield to pedestrians, watch for crosswalks.
- We understand that guests enjoy decorating and creating experiential displays; however,please keep in mind that management reserves the right to require the removal of anything that might be deemed unsafe or inappropriate. Remember young eyes and young ears!
PLEASE SECURE YOUR VALUABLES
(Bikes, scooters, skateboards, coolers, cars, golf cars, golf car chargers, etc.)
Things with Wheels
- About Uber/Lyft: Please understand that Uber/Lyft cannot proceed past the Gate to your site. Uber/Lyft drivers generally do not meet the liability insurance requirements that all vendors must meet to work on our property for the safety of our guests and teammates. There are several taxi services that can drive you directly to your site, please ask Security for a list, any of our offices, or under Quick Links online. Please note: Uber/Lyft drivers interested in taking guests to their site (past the Main Gate) simply have to provide the necessary insurance requirements and can find out more by contacting our Compliance Department at (843) 828-4853.
- 10 mph speed limit throughout the campground – strictly enforced.
- No motorcycles and no 2 and 3 wheeled gas operated vehicles inside the campground under power. No motorcycle “Coasting” to site past authorized areas.
- Gas golf cars are not allowed.
- Electric scooters and electric mopeds are permitted.
- Riders must obey all traffic rules.
- A parking pass is required inside Ocean Lakes. All visitor passes are $12 per day, per vehicle.
- Cruising on golf cars during quiet hours (11 PM-7 AM) is not permitted and subject to a $100 fine.
- All bicycles, scooters and golf cars operated after dark must have light(s) turned on.
- No parking on beachfront overnight (beach side of street). Parking restrictions apply year ’round on beachfront between 7 PM and 7 AM.
- All trailers (utility, motorcycle, boat, etc.) must be on your site or placed in short term storage for $5 per day. Contact our Main Office at (843) 238-5636 for more information.
- You must be 16-years old with a valid driver’s license to operate a Golf Car anywhere in Ocean Lakes.
Annual Lease Sites
- Camping in tents/motor homes is not permitted and camping equipment may not be hooked to power source.
- Ocean Lakes requires insurance on all vendors/sub-contractors. Please contact Compliance at (843) 828-4853. After hours – call Security at the Main Gate at (843) 828-4847.
- Annual Lease Holders and guests are not permitted to sell any item anywhere in the park. Failure to comply with this policy may result in the removal of the guest and/or jeopardize the Annual Lease Holder’s site lease.
DIAL 911… Then 843-828-4847 to call the Ocean Lakes Main Gate, so an Ocean Lakes SECURITY VEHICLE can escort the Emergency Vehicle to the PROPER LOCATION.
More about our Golf Car Rules for Everyone –
Violations of these policies may result in a $100 fine. (See above.)
The Golf Car is a huge part of the culture at Ocean Lakes Family Campground. We want everyone to enjoy their time and experience in Ocean Lakes, but the policies and rules are in place to help promote the safety of our guests and our teammates. Our ultimate objective is to make Ocean Lakes Family Campground the most safe and enjoyable family-oriented vacation destination that it can possibly be.
PLEASE NOTE: the Golf Car Violations listed below apply to ANYONE operating a Golf Car inside Ocean Lakes, including our Annual Lease Site Holders and their guests. All violations will result in a $100 fine.
Watch our helpful video. We want to emphasize that QUIET HOURS are 11 PM to 7 AM.
Let’s Highlight for All – Ocean Lakes Golf Car Violations include:
- Underage driving. Driver must be at least 16 years of age with valid driver’s license in their possession (also SC State Law). Any underage driver on a golf car without a licensed driver gets the ticket written in their name, but if a licensed driver is on the golf car we will write the ticket to the adult for “allowing an underage driver on a golf car.” If the ticket is written to the adult, understand that the underage driver’s name will still be noted on the ticket for the incident report, but the name of the person receiving the ticket will be the name of the adult.
Note: Our policies do permit a child to have their hands on the wheel while sitting in the lap of a licensed driver, but the licensed driver MUST have their hands ON THE WHEEL at all times. Our posted signage/policy states: “The licensed driver must be in complete control of the golf car at all times.” This includes sitting in the driver’s seat and the operation of the foot pedals with hand(s) on the steering wheel. If an officer witnesses otherwise, a violation will be issued with a fine because then it is considered an underage driver violation. The licensed driver must be in control with hands on the wheel. The child CANNOT be seated behind the wheel with the licensed driver beside them, that is a violation because the licensed driver is not in full control of the golf car. This specific rule is addressed in writing/pictures/signage to the guest that registers/rents the golf car. It is the responsibility of that guest to make additional drivers aware of our policies.
- Reckless driving. Golf Cars must be operated properly at all times and driven on roadways. No reckless driving, racing or misuse of the Golf Car will be tolerated. Drivers must obey all traffic signs.
- Loud, lewd and vulgar music (or language). Please keep the volume level on radios, stereos, or other audio devices low so others are not disturbed, and only play musicthat is family -friendly.
- Open containers of alcoholic beverages on your golf car (or in your possesson off your site). Please, for everyone’s safety, do not drink and drive!
- “Cruising” after hours (during Quiet Hours 11 PM – 7 AM) with no legitimate destination.
- Driver must be at least 16 years old and have a VALID driver’s license in their possession to operate a golf car in Ocean Lakes (also SC State Law). You must be 21 years old to sign a rental contract.
- Privately owned golf cars must be registered and have a valid registration sticker attached to the driver’s side of the front of the car. Proof of proper liability insurance must be shown with a minimum of $50,000 coverage in Personal Injury and Property Damage held on the golf car. Be aware of South Carolina driving laws on public roads. There is a $38 charge for required Ocean Lakes stickers.
- NO gas powered or motorized golf cars are permitted.
- No outside golf car rentals are permitted.
- Golf cars operating after sunset must have the light(s) turned on. Lights must be permanently attached and at least four inches in diameter.
- Flags on golf cars are not to exceed 24″ x 24″. No whip antennas or extended post mounted flags are permitted.
- A maximum of 5 people per golf car at any given time. 8 people maximum per limo car.
- Cruising on golf cars during quiet hours (11 PM-7 AM) is not permitted.
- Please keep the volume level on radios, stereos, or other audio devices low so others are not disturbed. Vulgar or lewd lyrics will not be tolerated.
- No open containers of alcoholic beverages are allowed on golf cars or frankly, off your site.
- Annual Lease Holders and transient campsite car owners are responsible for the operation of the golf car including any damages that result from operation.
- Annual Lease Holders must have 3″ reflective site numbers on the front and back of their golf cars.
- Golf cars must be operated properly and driven only on roadways. Golf cars are not to be driven across vacant or occupied campsites, the beach, or in other restricted areas.
- Rental golf cars cannot be driven off Ocean Lakes’ property.
- Under NO circumstances can golf cars be rented to other sites or other guests as a separate transaction.
Golf Car Violations Result in the Following Actions:
Rental Golf Cars
- First Offense of underage or reckless driving or taking golf car off property:$100 fine will be levied and the car is immediately taken away from the person to whom it was rented. A possible loss of privilege to rent or operate a golf car by any guest on the same site during that visit may result. Fines to be paid at Golf Car Rental Office.
Annual Lease Holder Golf Cars
- First Offense: $100 fine will be levied against that site and documentation recorded in the site’s file.
- Second Offense: $100 fine will be levied against the ALS and documentation recorded in the Site’s file. The second offense will result in the loss of privilege to have a golf car on the campground for one year. The Golf Car must be removed from the campground or stored in the Golf Car storage area for the one year time period.
- Additional Offenses: If violations occur after the second offense, your lease could be in jeopardy.
- ALSHs can learn more about Golf Car Violations in this PDF.
Privately Owned Campsite Guests
- First Offense of underage or reckless driving: $100 fine will be levied and must be paid immediately at the Main Office.
Let’s Highlight – All Second Offense Violations will result in the loss of privilege to operate a golf car in the campground. The golf car must be placed back on the camping/rental guest’s trailer or into the golf car storage area. Annual Lease Holder’s golf cars must be removed from the property or placed into the golf car storage area and loss of privilege for one year.
Sorry, pets are NOT permitted in Ocean Lakes Properties’ rental units, but we do welcome pets at our campsites!
- Do not leave your pet unattended at your site.
- Pets MUST be on a leash at all times.
- Leashes must not exceed 6 feet in length.
- CAUTION: Secure pets on golf cars.
- You MUST clean up after your pets and are subject to a $100 fine if you do not!
Doggie Doo bags are available for your use throughout the campground. (See locations marked on map).
- Do not deposit any pet waste into any sewer line.
- No Pit Bulls, Rottweilers or any other dangerous, destructive or exotic pets allowed.
- Please visit our Recreation Office or our website for Horry County laws about having pets on the beach.
- No loud barking or unruly behavior tolerated.
Pet waste is more than gross – it is detrimental to our environment and humans. Pet pollution is carried by storm water runoff that contributes to high bacteria levels in our waterways and beaches after it rains. There are a lot of good pet parents out there who do the right thing, and we appreciate it! We had to alter our tactics to get the attention of those who refuse to clean up after their pet.
Using Lakes & Oceans
- Please fish from banks only, no wade fishing. Crabbing and net fishing are not permitted in our lakes or swash.
- Boats are not permitted in our lakes, including remote control boats.
- Glass bottles and campfires are not allowed on the beach.
Danger Will Robinson! (Google it)
- CAUTION – When digging at a site – remember we have shallow underground utilities.
- No fireworks are allowed to be discharged in the campground (including sparklers).
- Please remember – water balloons, water guns, and marshmallow guns can be considered assault weapons by other guests.
- No firearms are allowed in the campground.
- Laser pointers are not permitted anywhere in the campground.
* Once again, we understand some guests will not agree with our policies, but they most likely do not share our perspective, the liability, and the lack of respect our team (and many guests) have witnessed. Our ultimate objective is to make Ocean Lakes the most safe and enjoyable family-oriented vacation destination that we can be.