Golf Car Policies Highlights:
Watch our helpful video. We want to emphasize that QUIET HOURS are 11 PM to 7 AM.
The Golf Car is a huge part of the culture at Ocean Lakes Family Campground. We want everyone to enjoy their time and experience in Ocean Lakes, but the policies and rules are in place to help promote the safety of our guests and our teammates. We continue to monitor our guests’ comments and contemplate ways to improve their experience at Ocean Lakes. The biggest complaint we continue to receive is about the behavior of other guests.
Golf Car Policies for Everyone*
The Golf Car Violations listed below apply to ANYONE operating a Golf Car inside Ocean Lakes, including our Annual Lease Site Holders and their guests. Please review violations and penalties below.
ZERO Tolerance Policies: Golf Cars & More
A $100 Fine will be issued after ONE Warning for the Following:
1. Loud music in the campground.
2. “Cruising” after Quiet Hours (11 PM – 7 AM) with no legitimate destination.
We are not out to harass guests utilizing necessary facilities, such as the bathhouses or Soapy Suds, etc. We are targeting guests “cruising” around the campground, generally making noise or looking for trouble (coolers, bikes, alcohol, unlocked vehicles, etc.).
3. Open containers of alcohol anywhere but at your site – Please do not drink and drive!
We understand that our guests are on vacation and want to relax with family and friends and enjoy themselves. That may include an adult beverage and that is permitted at their site. However, open containers of alcohol are not permitted on vehicles (that includes golf cars) for it is against South Carolina state law. It is true, we are private property, and we choose to uphold the state laws.
A $100 Fine will be issued WITHOUT Warning for the Following:
1. Underage driving: Driver MUST be at least 16 years of age with valid driver’s license in their possession. The Licensed Driver must be in control of the golf car at all times (hands on wheel, foot on pedals).
2. Reckless driving, horseplay, racing or other misuse of the golf car. Drivers must obey all traffic signs.
3. Taking rental golf cars off property – DO NOT go past the entry gates or onto the beach.
4. Lewd, vulgar or offensive music in the campground – Remember young eyes and young ears!
*We understand some guests will not agree with our policies, but they most likely do not share our perspective, the liability, and the lack of respect our team (and many guests) have witnessed. Our ultimate objective is to make Ocean Lakes the most safe and enjoyable family-oriented vacation destination that we can be.
Golf Car Penalties
Rental Golf Cars:
First Offense: $100 fine to be paid immediately at the Golf Car Rental Office and the golf car is immediately taken away until the fine is paid. A possible loss of privilege to rent or operate a golf car by any guest on the same site during that visit may result.
Second Offense: $100 fine and the loss of privilege to rent or operate a golf car for the remainder of the guests’ stay.
Privately Owned – Campsite Rental Guests’ Golf Cars:
First Offense: $100 fine which must be paid immediately at the Main Office.
Second Offense: $100 fine and the loss of privilege to operate a golf car in the campground. The golf car must be placed back on the camping/rental guests trailer or into the Golf Car Storage area.
Annual Lease Site Holder Golf Cars:
First Offense: $100 fine will be levied against the Annual Lease Site and documentation recorded in the site’s file.
Second Offense: $100 fine will be levied against the ALS and documentation recorded in the Site’s file. The second offense will result in the loss of privilege to have a golf car on the campground for one year. The golf car must be removed from the campground or placed into the Golf Car Storage area.
Additional Offenses: If violations occur after the second offense, the lease could be in jeopardy.
The Golf Car is a huge part of the culture at Ocean Lakes Family Campground. We want everyone to enjoy their time and experience in Ocean Lakes, but the policies and rules are in place to help promote the safety of our guests and our teammates. Our ultimate objective is to make Ocean Lakes Family Campground the most safe and enjoyable family-oriented vacation destination that it can possibly be.
Drivers must be at least 16 years old and have a VALID driver’s license in their possession to operate a golf car in Ocean Lakes (also SC State Law). You must be 21 years old to sign a rental contract. Any underage driver on a golf car without a licensed driver gets the ticket written in their name, but if a licensed driver is on the golf car we will write the ticket to the adult for “allowing an underage driver on a golf car.” If the ticket is written to the adult, understand that the underage driver’s name will still be noted on the ticket for the incident report, but the name of the person receiving the ticket will be the name of the adult.
Please Note: Our policies do permit a child to have their hands on the wheel while sitting in the lap of a licensed driver, but the licensed driver MUST have their hands ON THE WHEEL at all times. Our posted signage/policy states: “The licensed driver must be in complete control of the golf car at all times.” This includes sitting in the driver’s seat and the operation of the foot pedals with hand(s) on the steering wheel. If an officer witnesses otherwise, a violation will be issued with a fine because then it is considered an underage driver violation. The licensed driver must be in control with hands on the wheel. The child CANNOT be seated behind the wheel with the licensed driver beside them, that is a violation because the licensed driver is not in full control of the golf car. This specific rule is addressed in writing/pictures/signage to the guest that registers/rents the golf car. It is the responsibility of that guest to make additional drivers aware of our policies.
Golf Car Rules for Everyone …
- Privately owned golf cars must be registered and have a valid registration sticker attached to the driver’s side of the front of the car. Proof of proper liability insurance must be shown with a minimum of $50,000 coverage in Personal Injury and Property Damage held on the golf car. Be aware of South Carolina driving laws on public roads.
- There is a $38 charge for required Ocean Lakes stickers.
- NO gas-powered or motorized golf cars are permitted.
- NO outside golf car rentals are permitted.
- Golf cars operating after sunset must have the light(s) turned on. Lights must be permanently attached and at least four inches in diameter.
- Aftermarket lighting is permitted on golf cars as long as it does not blink, pattern flash strobe. The lights should NOT resemble emergency lighting.
- Flags on golf cars are not to exceed 2′ x 2′. No whip antennas or extended post mounted flags are permitted.
- A maximum of 5 people per golf car at any given time. 8 people maximum per limo car.
- Cruising on golf cars during quiet hours (11 PM-7 AM) is not permitted.
- Annual Lease Holders and transient campsite car owners are responsible for the operation of the golf car including any damages that result from operation.
- Annual Lease Holders must have 3″ reflective site numbers on the front and back of their golf cars.
- Golf cars must be operated properly and driven only on roadways. Golf cars are not to be driven across vacant or occupied campsites, the beach, or in other restricted areas.
- Under NO circumstances can golf cars be rented to other sites or other guests as a separate transaction.
Tip: Do not leave the key in the golf car!