Ocean Lakes Family Campground is excited to announce our partnership with the Billabong Surf Camp Program. With only a dozen Billabong Surf Camps on the East Coast, we are honored to be part of this elite group. Besides outstanding training, Billabong provides all surfboards, and participants will receive a bag of Billabong loot including a camp tee, DVD, poster, stickers and a 12 month subscription to Transworld Surf Magazine.
Participants of the 3-day camp get instruction on safety, surf etiquette, coastal and marine ecology, and board shaping. Our experienced instructors, who are CPR trained, will share their knowledge and expertise surfing the Atlantic. Certified lifeguards are on duty to ensure safety.
Camp has limited space providing a small group setting and more attention to each participant.
Surf Camp will run in two weekly sessions:
- Monday – Wednesday
- Wednesday – Friday
Both camps are from 8:00 am – 11:00 am each week during the summer season. Please annotate on the registration form which session you would like to attend. Our Summer Recreation Activity Schedule begins on June 3rd and runs through August 23rd. Camp will begin promptly at 8:00 am each morning. Campers should meet at the sailboat landing area south of the basketball courts. In case of bad weather, campers should meet in the recreation building. Each day’s activities are listed below.
Daily activities are subject to change.
- Intro to surfing. Instruction will cover history, types of surfing and equipment needed to surf.
- Safety instruction/Rules for Camp. Safety on the beach and in the water, as well as surfing etiquette.
- Beach Instruction. Begin learning the mechanics of surfing.
- Water Instruction. Time to get wet!
- Water Instruction
- Coastal/Ocean Environment. You will learn about how the weather effects ocean conditions, critters you will share space with when you are in the ocean, what part the ocean plays in our environment, and how we can take care of these resources.
- Water Instruction
- Class Photo
Surf camp participants must be between the ages of 10 – 16. Campers should be competent swimmers and in good physical shape. Surfing and other water sports are inherently dangerous activities, along with the dangers the ocean can offer. Please make sure that your child realizes that they must follow all directions from the instructors so the entire group can enjoy a safe experience. No prior surfing experience required.
- We will get in the ocean everyday, so come dressed in appropriate swimwear. A changing area is not available on the beach.
- Shoes or flip flops
- A bag or pack of some type to keep your stuff in would be helpful but not required.
- A small snack and water or a sports drink.
NOTE: It is very important that you eat and drink something before you come each day. Fruit, juice or cereal is fine. You do not need a huge breakfast. The exercise will be strenuous and the sun will be hot. Your body will need the fuel so it does not dehydrate.
The registration fee for Surf Camp is $75 per camper. Each camper will receive 3 days of surfing instruction, camp group picture, and a cool Surf Camp t-shirt. Pre-registration can be made by completing the registration form and returning it to the Ocean Lakes Recreation Office with your $75 registration fee. Camp space is limited and registration will be taken on a first come, first serve basis. Your spot will be confirmed upon receipt of class fee and completed registration form.
Download a PDF registration form here. Return the form with a check to: Ocean Lakes Recreation Office, 6001 South Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach, SC, 29575. Contact our Activities Coordinator via email or call (843) 828-4866.
Please note: All scheduled activities may be subject to change.